How does UK spell check?
Cheque is the British English spelling for the document used for making a payment, whereas American English uses check. Check also has a number of other uses as a noun (e.g., a check mark, a hit in hockey, etc.) and as a verb (“to inspect,” “to limit,” etc.).
How do you spell spelled in British?
Spelt has been the preferred choice in British English for many years, where spelled is also acceptable. Spelled is the preferred choice in American English, where spelt is viewed as a misspelling.
How do I get word to spell check UK English?
Check spelling and grammar in a different language
- On the Review tab select Language > Language Preferences.
- Under Office authoring languages and proofing, select the language you want to use.
- Select OK.
How do I use English UK in Word?
To set the default language used by Word, you follow these steps:
- Choose Language from the Tools menu, then choose Set Language from the submenu. Word displays the Language dialog box.
- In the list of languages, select the one you want to use by default.
- Click on the Default button.
- Close the Language dialog box.
Why did America drop the U?
American spelling was invented as a form of protest He dropped the letter u from words like colour and honour – which had developed from the French influence in England – to make them color and honor instead.
How do you change Grammarly to UK English?
Open Grammarly from the app menu on your mobile phone and tap “Grammarly Settings.” Next, tap “Language Preference” and choose your preferred setting.
How do I change spell check to English UK?
Choose Language > Set Proofing Language, and then select Detect language automatically.
- Click or tap where you’re going to add text, or select the text that you want to mark as a different language.
- On the Review tab select Language.
- Select the language you want to use.
- Select OK.