What is sub-editor role?
As a press sub-editor, or sub, you’ll check the written text of newspapers, magazines or websites before they’re published. You’ll look at grammar, spelling, tone and style to make sure it’s all correct, and will need to check facts and make sure the content suits its target audience.
What are the qualities of a sub-editor?
The qualities needed for sub-editing
- a very good command of English and spelling, and the ability to write clearly.
- an obsession with accuracy.
- a wide general knowledge.
- an orderly mind.
- a good working knowledge of typography and newspaper production.
- the ability to work accurately at speed and under pressure.
What is sub-editing in newspaper?
Subbing or sub-editing is the process of selecting, vetting, identifying of the news stories to make them capable for writing, rewriting, designing, copy making and printing according to the standard language law and the policy of news media organization.
What is the difference between editor and sub-editor?
A good editor will not change your voice or your story, only accentuate and enhance it. The final manuscript will always be your book and your vision, just the best version of it that it can possibly be. If you’re hiring a sub-editor, it’s because you’re specifically looking for someone to check for errors in the copy.
How do you become a subeditor?
- knowledge of English language.
- knowledge of media production and communication.
- the ability to read English.
- excellent verbal communication skills.
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail.
- excellent written communication skills.
- the ability to work well with others.
- to be flexible and open to change.
How do I become a sub editor?
- You should have a degree/diploma in Journalism, Communications or related field.
- You have solid prior experience are a sub editor or journalist.
- You have exceptional writing skills in the relevant language.
- You have a creative flair and are adept at designing attractive page layouts.
How much does a sub editor earn?
Sub Editor Salaries
|The London Evening Standard Sub Editor salaries – 2 salaries reported||£29,882/yr|
|Global Listings Sub Editor salaries – 2 salaries reported||£19,802/yr|
|Sky Sub Editor salaries – 1 salaries reported||£32,139/yr|
|Freelancer Sub Editor salaries – 1 salaries reported||£34/hr|
How much does a sub editor get paid?
The average salary for a Sub Editor is £30,767 in London, UK. Salaries estimates are based on 57 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by Sub Editor employees in London, UK….Sub Editor in London Area Salaries.
|Time Inc. Sub Editor salaries – 2 salaries reported||London Area||£33,268/yr|
Which is the best field in journalism?
Top 10 jobs for journalism grads
- Corporate communications specialist.
- Grant writer.
- Public relations specialist.
- Social media specialist.
- Sports information director.
- Technical writer.
What’s the easiest job?
Top 18 Highest Paying Easy Jobs
- House Sitter. If you’re looking for easy high paying jobs, don’t discount house sitter.
- Personal Trainer.
- Flight Attendant.
- Dog Walker.
- Toll Booth Attendant.
- Massage Therapist.
What does a sub editor do in a newspaper?
Sub Editor. A sub editor receives a large number of news from news agencies, reporters and correspondents. He also receives press releases and handouts. He cannot publish all those news. Therefore, he selects important and interesting news reports.
What are the qualities of a good sub editor?
The sub-editor has a keen eye for detail. They will spot a typo from afar and can rewrite poorly composed copy at breakneck speed. Their command of language will be impressive. The good sub-editor will have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the written language. They make the reporters look great by contributing positive enhancements to their copy.
What are the types of sub-editors?
There are two types of sub-editors; copy subs and design subs. An individual can be both, depending on the size and style of editorial operation. A sub-editor in a newspaper or magazine editorial office, may be expected to: Place pictures on the page and ensure they are cropped and captioned appropriately
What is sub-editing or subbing?
After selection he edits the news properly. The function of revising and editing is called sub-editing or subbing. Sub-editor is called the backbone of a newspaper due to his most important job. To present a news in an accurate and adequate way is the need of a good newspaper.